Nottingham IMC Mission Statement
The Nottingham Independent Media Centre (IMC) is a collective of independent community groups and individuals committed to offering grassroots and local non-corporate news coverage. It is a democratic media outlet for the creation of radical, accurate and passionate tellings of truth.
We aim to generate a fresh perspective on mainstream media-twisted stories and give a voice to individuals and communities throughout the region that are marginalised and have no say in the mainstream media. By connecting individuals and campaign groups together, we can disseminate information and raise awareness of local community concerns, campaigns and activities as well as issues of national and global relevance.
Nottingham Indymedia is an open–publishing website which will allow everyone to contribute regardless of their locality, ethnicity or gender. It will strive to empower communities through skill sharing and training to become part of the Nottingham IMC project, and work together towards maintaining a diverse and honest representation of what is really happening is our communities. Unlike the corporate media, Nottingham IMC is run through an open democratic process.
Central to the Nottingham IMC is the Nottingham Indymedia website, which as a platform generates a variety of other activities including a community radio project, training sessions and workshops, video-productions, info nights, film-screenings and a regularly print out of the generated news.
As a collective we aim to pursue the following principles:
- To maintain an open democratic structure where everyone can contribute equally to decision-making.
- To reject all systems of domination and discrimination.
- To reject all ties with political parties and corporate bodies.
- To acknowledge that the struggle for a better world takes many forms.
- To focus on local issues and grassroots campaigns.
- To continually welcome and provide training and support to new volunteers, groups and contributors wanting to become involved with the Nottingham IMC collective.
Nottingham IMC works as part of the global Indymedia Network. The network works to foster media creation based upon the principles of free participation and association, mutual aid, open-source software, open publishing, and transparent decision-making. As an affiliate of the Indymedia network, the Nottingham collective remains committed to these principles.
Think globally - Act locally!